Perfect holiday cookies. These are sure to please any cookie lover. You can find the almond paste in the bakers isle of your grocery store.
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
8 ounces almond paste
2 egg whites lightly beaten
3 ounces sliced almonds
1. Lightly grease cookie sheet. Do not use dark or non stick pans for these cookies….as the bottoms will burn. Aluminum works best.
2. In a medium mixing bowl sift together dry ingredients.
3. In a separate bowl break up almond paste and beat together with egg whites using a hand mixer.
4. Add dry ingredients to egg mixture and combine without over mixing.
5. Drop by rounded teaspoon 2″ apart on cookie sheet
6. Press 4 sliced almonds into the top of each cookie in a pinwheel design.
7. Bake in a 300 degree oven for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Remove to cooling rack and sprinkle with granulated sugar.